Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kicking off a new yarn: Femme Fatale

The Spindlers group on Ravelry has monthly challenges, where a theme is named and those who choose to participate must create a skein of yarn during that month that is their interpretation of that theme.  There are no rules other than producing the yarn within the calendar month of the challenge (well, spinning the yarn on a spindle, not a wheel, 'cuz you know, it's the Spindlers group), so you can pretty much do whatever you want within those boundaries.  I really love this whole idea - sometimes the month's theme is more appealing to me than at other times, but regardless, it is always fun to see what other spinners make for it. 

For March 2012, the theme is Femme Fatale, which is awesome.   

Here is my paraphrase of Wikipedia's definition of Femme Fatale:

A seductive enchantress using irresistible desire to lead victims
into compromising, dangerous, even deadly situations.

My translation of that into yarn?

I imagine slinky, fine threads of rich jewel tones that seduce the yarn lover with their luster and drape.  It entices a knitter to the depravity of lace knitting, its beauty blinding them to the dangerous footing of p3tog and centered double decreases.

I plan to accomplish my Mata Hari of yarns using handpainted BFL-silk blend top that has shimmering colors of red, eggplant, and dark teal.  I will use worsted drafting to create smooth, shiny singles that will hopefully end up as a gorgeous skein of 2-ply laceweight yarn.


No comments:

Post a Comment